And so here we are, another month down. Where is this year disappearing?
Another month of cooking fabulous, delicious things, without too many failings or freak outs!
Here’s a quick recap of the highlights:
Top 3 sweet treats
- Plum tray bake (Mar 2012, p. 66)
- White & dark chocolate jaffa swirl cake (Mar 2007, p.93)
- New York vanilla cheesecake with blueberries – COVER (Mar 2005, p. 25)
Top 3 easy weeknight dinners
- Stir-fried rice with chilli tuna (Mar 2004, p. 72)
- Beef and vegetable stir-fry (Mar 2006, p. 40)
- Chilli salmon noodle salad with lime & herbs – COVER (Mar 2009, p. 89)
Top 3 cheap and cheerful and vegetarian!!!
- Greek bean & silverbeet stew (Mar 2007, p. 138)
- Root vegetable & chickpea tagine (Mar 2012, p.70)
- Pasta puttanesca (Mar 2003, p. 146)
I feel like I am starting to get my groove on with this whole little challenge now. It feels really comfortable.
Some people have asked me how I go about choosing what I make so as I start a new month, I thought I might give you a brief insight into how I approach each month:
- In the last week of the month prior, I pull out all of the magazines for the next month. (of which there are twelve)
- Starting in 2002 I start looking through each magazine and tagging the recipes that catch my eye or appeal to my tastes. I do this fairly quickly, so as not to get too caught up in the stories or other bits and pieces in the magazine. (otherwise you can imagine this would take me a week!)
- The next step is to write a list of all the recipes I have tagged and where they come from. I do this by year.
- Once this is complete, this is the list I go to each week to create my menu plan. It is a quick glance system where I can choose a good balance of sweet or savoury, easy or difficult recipes to cook based on my time and other commitments that week. For example, I save complicated or time consuming recipes for the weekend when I have more time.
I hope that this gives you a little insight into how I find the time to cook my family a delicious meal every night.
I would really like to thank each and every one of you who have taken the time to read the blog, leave a comment or like what I am doing.
I am particularly chuffed by how many of you have already signed up to take part in the very first My Delicious Year cook-a-long. In case you are yet to sign up, the recipe and shopping list is out now. Head over to the My Delicious Year facebook page to be kept up to date with what is going on. And mark your calendar for Wednesday 1o April.
I look forward to continuing to share My Delicious Year with you!
P.S You can find a full list of what I cooked during March here